About this resource
The story of the SS Ventnor is part of a wider narrative about the settlement and experiences of Chinese people in Aotearoa New Zealand. Kaiako and ākonga can use this story as an entry point for learning about:
- the migration experiences of Chinese settlers during and beyond the gold mining era
- relationships between Chinese New Zealanders and other groups, especially tangata whenua
- our collective and diverse identities as New Zealanders.
The resource provides:
- a summary of an event and how it relates to Aotearoa New Zealand's histories
- suggested inquiry questions and activities to support teaching and learning about our past
- curated resources for further information.